There are very few homes that don’t have a source of carbon monoxide near them. Whether it’s gas heaters, cooking ranges or cars, most of us are exposed to some level of carbon monoxide every day. The problem is that you don’t know you’re being exposed when it happens. Obviously, the typical amount isn’t deadly on the spot, but in some cases, a concentrated amount of carbon monoxide can be a killer. Therefore, don’t skip the carbon monoxide detectors for your home.
Carbon Monoxide detectors are not the same as fire alarms, so you’ll need both to fully protect yourself and your family. If you don’t know how many to purchase, err on the side of too many. Since they are more expensive than fire alarms, at least get one for every floor of your house. It’s best to put them in or near bedrooms so that you can hear one if it goes off in the night. Also check the batteries regularly. In fact, check the batteries in both the fire alarm and carbon monoxide detectors every six months. If the alarm does go off, assume there is a contamination in your house and leave immediately. Call 911.
As an added safety precaution, make sure all natural gas pipes are properly fitted on a regular basis. Have a gas company service person come to your home to inspect all lines at least once a year. Since cars are a big source of carbon monoxide, keep your car emissions system maintained and updated, too. Never leave your car running in a garage. Even if the building is not attached to your home, you don’t want to enter a closed space where a car has been running for awhile. Take carbon monoxide contamination seriously. It is an odorless killer, so you may pass out before you realize what’s happening to you. Always report any suspicious leaks in your home or car to insure the health and safety of yourself and your family.