Whatever you do, don’t park your car in the garage and then fall asleep at the wheel with the car still running. That could potentially kill you in your sleep. You know why?
CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING
They call it the “Silent Killer” for a reason. It’s a type of emission, and it is just as deadly as any other poison you can think of. Be careful with it and be sure to take the necessary steps to guard against it. This is what Carbon Monoxide (also known simply as CO) is:
Carbon Monoxide is a tasteless, invisible, and silent gas. You can’t tell that it’s being released inside your house. The way it’s produced is by burning materials containing carbon, such as gas water heaters, kerosene space heaters, charcoal grills, propane heaters and stoves, cigarette smoke, spray paint, solvents, degreasers, and paint removers. There are also numerous other sources, some that would actually surprise you. A faulty or plugged exhaust pipe in your automobile would also cause serious Carbon Monoxide emissions.
Why is it serious? Because it can kill you without you even knowing it. Early symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning are headaches, nausea and fatigue. Prolonged exposure can lead to brain damage and even death. Usually the chance to remedy it is lost due to the similarity to influenza and other cold-type symptoms. Once you pass out from the poisoning, you essentially die. Other symptoms include dizziness, shortness of breath, impaired judgment, chest pain, confusion, depression, hallucinations, agitation, vomiting, abdominal pain, drowsiness, visual changes, fainting, seizures, memory problems, and walking problems.
Typical steps to take when dealing with a possible Carbon Monoxide threat is to get yourself to an ER immediately if you notice even one symptom that seems unusual. You have to be careful. A thorough inspection of the household is then necessary to pinpoint the Carbon Monoxide emission.